Member#: 13910
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy outback
blue

Default Re: Great buy!

Quote:
Originally posted by d4d4d4d4
That's really really low miles for that year and model. Make sure all the CV joints and brakes are intact. Regardless of the exterior, the engine is brand spankin new for a 2.2l Subie boxer. You should easily see another 150-200,000 problem free miles. Just remeber to ALWAYS!!!! and I really mean ALWAYS warm up your car before taking off. 5-15 minutes is ideal for a morning start. 1-2 minutes if the car is still somewhat warm. If your car is an Automatic, then I highly recommend driving without 1st gear. Activate the MANUAL button on the shifter, then shift it down into 2nd or 3rd gear. The transmission will lock into 2nd and never jump down to first gear. The car will pull just fine from a stand still when in 2nd gear just as long as you don't need a speedy jump into traffic, in which case just deactivate the MANUAL button and you'll instantly be back in 1 st gear.

It's more important to do the 2nd gear thing when the car is just warming up. Since the AWD tranny is so large for such a small engine, it takes a long time for it to reach an ideal temp. As we all know, Auto trannies don't like shifting when cold. The tansmission will slam into 2nd gear and cause unneeded stress when cold. So, drive around town in second (second is good for speeds between 0-60) for a while before using 1st.
Really? What about the larger 2.5L AT and 1.8L AT (Fwd) it really bothers me when I see a person pull right off after starting.. I like to think of it as someone pouring cold water on a sleeping person making them get up and work right away. Sooner or later the engine says I Quit!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote