I grew up in CO and livedfor 6 mos in SLC. They are fairly similar, except:
- Utah has very few minorities. No diversity.
- The state of Utah owns all liquor stores, and they seem hard to find.
- Skiing/riding is much better in SLC and the resorts are much closer
- Religion absolutely dominates policy in UT
- Strangley enough, some car dealers are open on Sunday in UT
- There are WAY too many kids in Utah. Seriously. You have to visit to get the full effect.
- It's easy to find your way around SLC due to the cool numbering system
- Downtown SLC is tiny. Downtown Denver is much bigger, plus we have other business areas like DTC and Interlocken
- Denver has limited gaming about an hour away. SLC has real gambling 120 miles west in Wendover, NV. You pass through the salt flats on your way
- Thanks to the olympics, SLC has a very nice highway system. Denver's is currently being overhauled and it's a mess in some areas.
Overall, they are pretty similar. I was happy living in SLC and I like living here. I've never been the victim of a crime; that crap is blown way out of proportion.