View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 11:00 AM   #16
Chi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40311
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
White

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)

Pirelli P-Zero Nero -- 225/45 ZR 17

#2.) what is your geographic location

Taipei, Taiwan

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)

None yet. Track event coming up on December 6th

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving

30% highway / 70% city

#5.) your review and personal comments

Mileage on tire: ~3500 miles

Noise: One of the quieter performance tires that I have used. The noise never gets loud, but you can definitely hear the road texture differences.

Dry grip: Extremely high. Since I drive around town mostly, I encounter all kinds of roads like smooth asphalt, rough asphalt, concrete, etc. Grips like a crazy glue through everything.

Dry handling: Not very communicative. It is sometimes hard to tell what the tires are doing in mid-turn. Breakaway can be abrupt at times, but when it happens, it is easy to control. Quick turn-in along with great transient behavior.

Wet grip: Very high. The tires actually screech louder on wet pavement than on dry. No aquaplaning up to 200kph in moderate rain. (Closed circuit! Don't try this at home!) If you live in an area that rains a lot, this tire will not let you down. Very confidence inspiring grip.

Wet handling: Feels a lot more communicative on wet pavement. Gradual breakaway that is easily controlled. Great fun to drift around on wet pavement. Remarkably easy to control when drifting. "Don't try this at home!"

Confort: This is a high performance tire. If you want confort, look elsewhere. It is extremely stiff. With my car's STi struts, the pink lowering springs, and group N tops, I can feel the year of the coin I run over.... well, not quite, but you will feel *everything*.

Closing comments: If you want all out performance without tire buzz driving you nuts (pun intended), then this is the tire for you. The level of grip that this tire offers is simply amazing. I have used most major brands of performance tires in the past and so far, the P-Zero series have never ceased to amaze me with their grip. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give this tire a 9.5. Less 0.5 points because of the lousy comfort... maybe I'm getting too old for this.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Chi is offline   Reply With Quote