View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #101
garlo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39296
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Blue

Heres a relatively fast way to check to see if the spokes of a wheel will clear the Brembos. I did measurements off of my car and found out the Brembo caliper sticks out 34mm past the hub (the point where the wheel mounts) on the front wheel of the Sti. Then I pulled off the BBS and measured on the inside of the wheel the distance from surface where the wheel mounts to the hub and the backside of the spokes (40mm 41mm). This gives the stock BBS wheel a clearance of around 6mm between the front of the calipers and the back of the spokes on the front wheel. Now given the curve of the spoke may vary wheel-to-wheel this measurement may not work in all cases, but should be a good general fitment indicator. I unfortunately did not measure from the center of the hub to the point where the spoke on the BBS wheel starts to curve. On the stock BBS wheel after the initial bend coming from the hub the spoke is relatively straight to the inside edge of the wheel.

Anyway, before doing the dry fit on the Racing Sparco Tarmac I measured the distance on the inside of the wheel from the surface where the wheel mounts to the hub to the back of the spokes (39mm 40mm). After mounting the wheel on the car I measured from the front of the caliper to the back of the spoke (3mm 4mm). Brembos site mentions a minimum of 3mm clearance. All the measurements were taken in a confined space, no not a prison, in my one car garage, so they may be off slightly +/- 1mm.

So, to get a fair idea if a wheel will fit. Pull the wheel, get a flat object to lay across the mounting surface on the inside of the wheel (I used a 12 drafting triangle) then with a mm ruler measure various points from the back of a spoke to the edge of the object or triangle. I took measurements from the inside edge of the wheel to the point where the spoke starts to curve. If your measurements are >= 40mm Id say you have a good chance that the wheel will fit on a STi.

If you are interested here are the measurements I took from my Sti that I had posted on another site. I thought about making a template like the one on the StopTech site and then posting it, but now that I have my wheels I have gotten lazy. These measurements where taken outside in good lighting, so they should be accurate.

Here are the measurements I got:

- The length of caliper (tip to tip): 280mm
- The width of caliper (front to back): 138mm
- The distance from the rotor to the front of the caliper: 57mm
- The distance from the hub face to the front of the caliper: 34mm
(The point where the wheel touches the hub)
- The distance on the inside of the wheel from where it mounts to the inside edge of the spokes.
(Just after the point where the spoke curves): 41mm
(The inside edge of the wheel to the spoke): 40mm
- Clearance from the spoke to the caliper: 6mm
(Measured from the center of the second b in brembo to the spoke).

I used a micrometer to do the measurements except when measuring the size of the caliper.

Gary
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.