Old 09-04-2000, 11:35 AM   #1
horseflesh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 690
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza RS 4 dr
Rallye blue!

Post MY00 bogs at launch (sorry for the dead horse beating!)

(Let me preface this by saying it COULD be operator error, I guess -- but it sure FEELS wrong... Also, the car is bone stock, and I run 87 gas.)

Anyway -- my MY00 RS bogs when when I engage 1st gear. For about a second the power will smoothly engage, and then my power and RPMs drop. This happens below about 2000 RPMs. (I have to take precise notes next time I drive.)

I can counter this by revving higher prior to disengaging the clutch, but I shouldn't *have* to start the car at 2500RPMs, right?

If I give it more gas when the power drop starts, I can partially compensate, but I have to put my foot WAY into it. The power and RPMs will then surge after about 1-2 seconds in the low-power zone.

The problem is noticeable, though MUCH diminished in 2nd gear.

I have read about other people with this problem. They have listed these things as helping:

NGK platinums
Bosch platinums
Aftermarket air filter/intake
High-octane gas

Anyone here have any experience with this? I am extremely reluctant to take the car to a dealer until I know more about what is going on... Is this my knock sensor? Or something else? Will resetting the ECU clear this up temporarily?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.