View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Subasaurus Rex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5269
Vehicle:
1998 Forester L
Black Diamond Pearl

Question Need help with swap plans... those with WRX motor in GC body please comment

OK... I can't seem to decide what to do, so I'm seeking your advice.

I was originally going to turbo my 2.5 with WRX parts and a standalone ECU. But, because of the obvious reliability issues, I have chosen to scrap that idea. I'm now thinking of doing a complete swap to either a 2.0 WRX engine, or a 2.5 STi engine and use the appropriate wiring harness/ECU. I want to go this route because it seems (to me anyway) to be a more reliable way of getting the power I want. I'm kind of leaning towards the WRX motor, and then tuning it up to around 275-300hp. I'm a little afraid that the STi motor will destroy my existing tranny/drivetrain (which I would rather not swap out).

Could the people that have done either of these swaps into a GC body please comment on their setup, how they like it, how reliable it is, and how does the car perform compared to your original motor? Will I lose a lot of the low-end grunt compared to the 2.5n/a when going to the WRX setup, or does that get evened out because it's in a lighter chassis?

Please let me know your comments. Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Subasaurus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote