View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #18
gtguy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2184
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

The Speed guy is right. "Consider the alternative," indeed. There is a LOT of looking gift horses in the mouth on NASIOC, and a lot of grousing before understanding what is going on. People are slagging the new Legacy for different bumpers...ripping the STi because the brakes are expensive to replace...etc, etc.

Understand that Speed isn't a network in the literal sense of the word, with armies of producers and editors. They purchase programming, and re-air it, usually unedited, though it appears to be checked for offensive material.

An hour and a half is indeed better than nothing, so the comment from the Speed representative is very apt. Interestingly enough, I am in the process of dubbing Speed rally coverage from 1998-2003 from VHS to DVD (for my own use...don't even ask), and there were half-hour wrapup shows that dealt with each rally. Then they moved to one-hour shows, then the excess (to my eyes) of same-day, hour-long coverage, then the two-hour shows of last year.

The half-hour shows are still pretty informative. They pack a lot into the actually about 22 minutes of show time.

The hour-long shows are significantly better. You can get more information/insight.

The three-hour shows are full of repetition. If you chop the commercials, those three hours of coverage don't even fill a two-hour videotape.

Last year's two-hour shows were quite good, but not as good as the edited version of the three-hour shows. But if you look at it, it's the raw material, not anything that Speed is doing.

If you REALLY want to see crappy coverage, I have a tape of the 1997 WRC stuff from ESPN 2. It's so bad I didn't even dub it.

Kevin
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
gtguy is offline   Reply With Quote