View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 37747
2003 WRX
Sedona Red

Default Installed new turbo, broke uppipe stud, fixed it,! (LONG)

Ok a while back i installed my upgraded td04, and i had a stock gutted uppipe on there already. When i was loosening one of the rear bolts that hold the turbo to the uppipe, the stud broke right in half. I had no time or way to fix it at the time, so i left that one bolt off there, and was pretty sure it was going to leak too. So, i drive the car, everything is fine until im in like 2nd or 3rd and flooring it, and i hit full boost, the boost guage swings to around 15psi, then back down, then back up again, fluctuating alot. When this happens, i hear a whirring noise, not the normal turbo noise, but like a whining whirring noise, and it also fluctuates with the boost guage needle, louder as the boost goes higher. So, i thought this was a leak, so i bought a uppipe to turbo gasket, and fixed the broken stud by putting a new one in, and made sure everything was perfect. I put it all back together, and during idle and even revving, no sounds, but there were none before either. Then i drive it, noise is still there when i get on starting to think its not a leak, and may be something wrong with this turbo? It is ported and polished, clipped exhaust wheel 10degrees, and a t28 compresser wheel. Help me out, sorry for the long thread
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jfandem is offline   Reply With Quote