Scooby Guru

Member#: 1725
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
99 Subaru Impreza
GF silver

Quote:
Originally posted by xstar
there were posts from over a year ago about STi/SPT sedan suspension kit will cause more positive camber than the wagon kit in the rear. (if all other suspension parts remain the same).
You'll get the extra pos. camber front and rear if you use the wagon front control arms and rear lateral links with sedan struts. However, combined with the sedan stuff, one would be fine, as far as geometry is concerned.

As an aside, I've compared the sedan and wagon struts on a car and I see now where the difference lay. The actual length of the struts is the same. The difference is actually in the "bracket" at the bottom of the strut where the 2 big 19mm bolts are. The sedan version extends outward about 10mm more than on the wagon. When a sedan strut is installed on a wagon the extra length forces the top of the knuckle farther out (the knuckle pivots from below) giving more positive camber. So with the sedan control arms and lateral links pushing everything out, the geometry, combined with sedan struts, should be fine on a wagon.

My only concern would be with the half shafts/CV joints. Are they different between the two cars? Are the sedan's also a bit longer? Most CV joints have quite a bit articulation and "stretching" possiblity, bit I wonder if, long term, there are wear problems? I suppose a part # check would be the easiest way to find out.

Richard - I was wondering if the trailing arms splay out a bit due to widened track? The pillow balls also have bit of lateral articulation, so I imagine its not a problem.

With rolled rear fenders, this could be a very interesting and effective handling upgrade. Plus, we can use the sedan alu front control arms which are a ton cheaper than the GC8/wagon one's.

Hmmmmm...time to start checking out the classifieds for sedan folk who want to dump their control arms/lateral links....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Arnie; 04-07-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote