View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 01:02 AM   #10
MER
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 38723
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default Another REVIEW

Cost: ~$500 from Kingpin for a take-off unit.

Fitment: Take off stock TMIC. Unbolt AC lines, agressivly push them toward rear of car. Bolt in new TMIC, bend AC lines some more. Take off stock splitter, close hood, done. [see additional cost for other parts you may need]

Size: Measured across the face [the visible fin portion] as mounted in car. From passanger side to Drive's side 16 1/4 vs 18 1/2. Back bumbper to front bumper 5 7/8 vs. 7 1/4. Top to bottom is about 3 1/2 inches for both. Ghetto math reveals about 40% larger than stock TMIC [someone check my math]

Build: A much better unit. Large STI hoses are smoother and much thicker than the SAMCO units I had been using. Y portion of intercooler piping is a mix of metal and rubber vs. stocks all rubber design. End tank toward read of unit appears much larger but I can't comment why this might be a better IC design feature. Bright red STI across front is nice if your into that sort of thing.

Performance: Butt dyno only. Feels better, like switching from stock pipes to SAMCO. I'll revise this part of the review later once the vf34 goes on [this is reallyt the reason I bought it].

Recommendation: Ditto to what Una said. I like the idea of JDM OEM, hence the addition of a vf34 also.

Hidden cost: As stated above rallispec has a 'complete' setup available for $300. That is for an JDM STI scoop and a splitter. Two splitters are available that would fit, the JDM STI V7 and the JDM V7 STI Spec-C. Spec-C has one IC sprayer location while plain old STI has two. I believe the Spec-C is aluminum and STI is um, smoething else. Also, mine didn't come with a BOV gasket, you would probably want to use a new one anyway. WILL RUB YOUR AC lines BADLY. As the engine revs and moves the bigger IC will rub you AC line an wear it out. I bought heater line from a local hardware store for about $2.50 per foot and placed it on the AC line where the IC rubbed it and where the AC line rubbed the firewall. I'll update on wear issued later.

Overall: Couldn't be a happier.

Other: Mine was very oily inside and out, looked like turbo may have blown an oil line. I placed mine in front of a gas fireplace to make the oil inside more viscous. Tipped it so the oil would run toward the TB hole. Poured and mopped out about 1/8 of a cup of oil. Repeated several times.

PM me with questions.

MER
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MER is offline   Reply With Quote