Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #23
skyliner33v
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 2675
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
MY02 Wagon 350whp
PSM

Well, after much thought and debate, I have decided that I am going to go the aftermarket standalone ecu to wire up the motor. I figure that if I get the standalone, it will save me money and time in the long run as I plan on building a bigger and better motor for this car and I can perform the switch much easier this way. This motor was bought to pretty much satisfy my need for speed now as the 1.8L motor just wasn't cutting it.

So now I have more questions.

Which aftermarket ecu would be ideal for running this motor now, and a different motor later on? I have really only looked at the electromotive tec2 (used or new) and the tec3 (which I wish I could get but can't afford), and the haltech E6k or E6x. Are there any others worth considering? I've heard some pretty good things about the Link/LinkPlus ecu. I hope to spend only about $1000 to $1500(absolute max) for the ECU.

Also, my car is a 93 so I'm pretty sure I'm pre OBDII but not completely positive. Will this make the wiring any easier than an OBDII'd car?

Since I will be running a standalone, can I upgrade to a slightly larger turbo without any damage to the internal parts of the motor?

I've also heard that the heads on the older legacy turbo motors aren't very good to begin with tend to get worse with age so are there any other heads that I can swap with while the motor is out to improve efficiency/performance?

And here is a link to the differences in the EJ20 motors that I found on legacycentral and I wasn't sure if you guys have seen it or not but I thought it would be good to post as a reference.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~1amiga/ej2o.htm

thanks again for all the info and help

jason p.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
skyliner33v is offline   Reply With Quote