View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 11:14 PM   #11
Scooby Guru
Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

I was replying to the roll resistance increased by bigger bars, as quoted earlier in the thread. Yes, increasing roll resistance with springs increases grip, with it's own drawbacks. Moving weight around and tire sizes was not part of the thread subject, but it has it's own benefits and drawbacks, especially with our AWD not liking different tire diameters.
Originally posted by jmott
raising the rear roll stiffness with springs does not reduce grip. it raises it.

it is the change in weight transfer f/r due to the stiffness that changes the balance of the car.

I would argue, that the toe out method of getting oversteer would be less effective than moving weight around, or tire sizes, or roll stiffness.

but I could be wrong =)

suspension isn't simple, and the fact is not even top F1 engineers can tell you what the best solution is, you just have to play around with it.

for instance, top E36 BMW drivers Brian Matteucci and Bob Tunnel use vastly different spring rates in the rear. But both are insanely fast. There are often very different but equally fast suspension setups.
Jay Storm
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".....
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote