Old 07-20-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

hey guys. My life has been extraordinarily busy the past few weeks. Can you say 72hr work weeks and nightshift, to boot?

anyway, I finally got the K&N Typhoon installed as well as the TurboXS Tuna that I had from my WRX.

To answer Abe Froman's question, yes the stock is 65mm as well which bodes well for the Typhoon's prospective AFR characteristics.

I haven't logged the Tuna's wideband readings (because I don't have an rpm pickup nor a utec to provide rpm data) but I did do lots of observation.

At idle, of course, it runs a very steady 14.7.
At onset of WOT, it quickly drops to about 13.5 then rapidly reaches 10.5 (as boost reaches 15psi).
At 4000-4500 the AFR drops down to around 10.3 and then begins climbing again and by redline it's a nice steady 10.6.

That looks good to me!

As far as driving characteristics, around town, it presents NO herky-jerky throttle response and always feels ready to spool. At WOT, it does feel more open, but like any intake without tuning, any gains would be small. It mostly just seems more "ready to pounce" if that makes sense. It DOES have more pull as it approaches redline than it did with the stock intake. That much I'm sure of.

The kit is very comprehensive and includes a lot of small parts that, when assembled, look very good and professional. The kit works great. The nice thing about this kit, as many may have noticed, is it's a baffled shortram. The reasons this is good are:
-filter is in engine bay so it's easy to clean/change
-shorter tube has less flow-inertia so it has better throttle response
-baffle keeps engine heat out so you don't have skyrocketing intake temps

I'm a very satisfied customer!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote