Thread: Subaru
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 05:53 AM   #1
mcgeo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 67066
Question First Car: '89 Subaru Wagon - Good choice?

hi all,

i'm interested in buying this '89 subaru L-series 4WD wagon from ebay (i'm going to check it out on the weekend hopefully):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=2485404247

i'm not exactly sure what model it is (edit: i think it's a GL or possibly GL touring... i don't know a lot about cars, which is why i came here - hopefully someone can name it more specifically than i have).

is there any major things i should look into before buying? i heard the gearboxes on the older subys were pretty unreliable. also, the engine is approaching 275000Kms (170000 miles), is it likely to conk out any time soon? it currently leaves fairly close to the sea (as you can see in the top pic) so i'm definately going to check for rust. i also heard about potential problems with the CV joints (i'm not too sure on what a CV joint is, i understand that it's related to the 4WD)

so what do you guys reckon? i intend to get it lifted 2 inches and get bigger wheels etc for more clearance - i'll be driving it around town but also hopefully it will be an offroad beast. please post comments . As noted in the forum topic, this will be my first car (the family car is a fairly recent model subaru outback ).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by mcgeo; 07-27-2004 at 07:53 AM.
mcgeo is offline   Reply With Quote