Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIdreamer17
. and someone said if i went from a stock turbo to an sti turbo then you would have to up the internals.
Joe,
You are in good hands with Subiekid, so I won't add any to what he has told you about troubleshooting this issue. But what I quoted is patently false. There are a number of guys running around with 300+CHP on EJ22T's with bone stock internals. Being a phase I engine, your rods and crank are forged and bulletproof. The limiting factor on the power that an EJ22T can produce is how much the heads can flow. Can they flow enough for a 500hp build? No. But they can easily flow enough for 300 or even 350hp without porting. If you get really serious about power at some point, you will want to switch to some DOHC heads from a 2.5RS or a WRX. The cost of the heads will be about the same as getting yours ported. But that is a long ways off from where you stand now and would require uprgading everything (but the block) that is currently on the car. heads, turbo, injectors and rails, engine management, etc.

And a TD04 isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant switching. If you go to the trouble of switching, get a TD05 along with a decent sized intercooler and some upgraded injectors...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote