Scooby Guru

Member#: 17439
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 x2 Silver WRX
Sedan, White WRX Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamz
Ok, update on my situation. I double checked my logs and found that I was in fact running a little lean at idle. I feel sorta embarrassed but I still think this is a great thread and I hope it can help others out there. I did clean my MAF as well, it was a tiny bit dirty, but not too bad.
Nothing embarassing! Hell, I remember freaking out because my parking lights wouldn't turn off... damned that little switch on top of the steering column! It's actually somewhat unique that an error code is actually REPORTING the error it was meant to report! So often, a code gets thrown that is related to something entirely different, but in your case, sounds like you might have just been running a bit too lean?

noogin - not sure if they are identical, but I am willing to bet they are. I think it would be safe to compare them side by side and if they look the same, they are the same. You could try doing some more searching on NASIOC, or just pick up the phone and cal a local subie dealership, ask to speak to the parts department, and get them to look up the part # for an 02 MAF and an 04 MAF. The guy may just say, "Oh - they're the same" or he'll look them up, and if they're the same part number, you're golden. I'd bet they are though, but I am only one small mind.

To clean it, you can use carb & injector cleaner from any auto parts store. Be careful as they are fragile little creatures. Here is a somewhat funny page about general MAF cleaning on a Ford Scorpio - the principal is the same though. Good luck! Remember, it could be ANYTHING, but the MAF is a good easy one to start with.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
CirrusWRX is offline   Reply With Quote