Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Charlie,

I just sent you a reply to your email, and then realized that you had said 225/55 vice 225/50. If you did go with 225/55s, the problems below would be amplified, as the tire is going to be about 0.4" closer to the fender lip (and hence closer to the spring perches). Anyway, here's what I had emailed you:

I think the 225s would be very tight in the rear (depending, of course, on how much negative camber you're running). I ordered the Golds with the 0.75deg camber washers, and just had the car up on the alignment rack yesterday evening for the first time since the coil-overs were installed. Rear camber was -1' 30" on one side and -1' 40" on the other side, which is about double that 0.75deg - I thought that was kind of strange.

I'm currently running 205/55-16 SZ50EPs, and I have ride height set about 1/2 - 5/8" lower than stock. At that height, and with all the negative camber I've got, the rear spring perches are getting pretty close to being a problem. The driver's side one is just barely above the top of the tire, and the passenger's side perch is about 1/2" higher. The perches will clear the tire if they are right next to it, but not by much - maybe 2 or 3mm. So, if you have ride height low enough, and you have enough negative camber, the 225s won't clear (in my opinion).

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is online now   Reply With Quote