View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Charlie-III
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: 07456, North NJ
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper Wagon

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty
The stock batteries are JUNK...
Will you guys quit with that!!!!!!!

I have almost 7 years and 134,000 miles on my OEM battery.

My wife has 6 years (and a lot less miles, maybe 55,000?) on her OEM battery.

My guess it that the underhood temps on the turbo cars are cooking the batteries. It would make no difference in the brand.

Have you checked the water/electrolyte level?
Have you refilled the level using ONLY distilled water?
Do you do lots of short trips and/or sit at idle a lot?

These will kill a battery faster if you don't pay attention.

BTW, I work in the UPS industry and know a bit about lead acid batteries. The best way to help them live is:

Keep between 72 and 77 degrees F.
Keep fully charged.
Keep them topped off on fluid level.
Don't load them (like starting).
Don't subject them to vibration.

Granted, it is almost impossible to do all the above except for fluid level and charge status.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote