Old 02-03-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
tbd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15322
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1995 gf wagon
Blue Green Metallic 340

Default Disassembling seized suspension parts.

Howdy all, thought I'd ask for someone else's two cents on what they'd do in this situation. This isn't urgent, just something I'm dreading & need to plan for in the future.

During a rear drum to disc conversion in the past I found that the bolt which holds the rear control arms to bottom of the rear knuckle to be seized on one corner. (bolt end) I was still able to remove the knuckle & do the conversion but I know I'll need to face that bolt sooner or later.

Pounding on it w/ a deadblow hammer only distorted the nut end w/ the threads. WD-40 didn't seem to loosen it in the short span of time I wanted it done in. (eg: wanted it done yesterday) And I could'nt sqeeze a pry bar between the bolt head & the bushing. It seems that the steel insert & the bolt are seized.

So knowing that I'll have to free that end when I install uprated bushings into the control arms, how would you approach removing this?

I've only heard of torch & PB blaster so far. Any special tools that might help? None of my pullers seem to be relevant to this job.

I would have asked in the maintenance forums but I figure swappers over here were more likely to have run into this problem already.

Thanks,
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote