View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 15559

Originally Posted by poison
I apologise for my show of passion over oil.
No sweat.

15-50 would probably run ok in a hot climate, but with reduced gas mileage. Of course 80-90 would choke it, or kill it with the lack of start up protection. But I am pretty sure that the only place Subaru specs a 5/30 for pretty much all temps is in the US and that is because of CAFE. Elsewhere they spec the oils best for the engine.
Sounds reasonable. The point I was trying to make is that I don't have the resources to do the testing needed to know which oil to use, so I have a hard time departing from the manufacturer's recommendations. Sometimes the manufacturer's recommendations don't make a lot of sense. I think the book that came with my 1997 Impreza said to use 5W-30 for all temperatures, but permitted 10W-30 so long as the temperature does not exceed 90 F, or something like that. That recommendation makes no sense to me because 5W-30 and 10W-30 are supposed to act the same way at high temps. The difference between those oils is at low temps. Isn't it? I think that book is probably a good example of the recommendation being driven by CAFE rather than what's best for the motor.

I just bought a 1998 Honda Accord for the wife. It has the 2.3 litre VTEC 4-cylinder. What a sweet running motor. The book recommends 5W-30 "Energy Conserving" oil. It also says, "You may use a 10W-30 oil if the temperature in your area never goes below 20 degrees F (-7 C)." Now, what in the heck do I do with that information? I am inclined to use 5W-30 from November through March and 10W-30 the rest of the time. See any problem with doing that? I will probably use Mobil 1 because it is readily available, but I might use Amsoil.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dsc is offline   Reply With Quote