D. Romanucci
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 29013
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silber Pfile

Default Toyo Proxes T-1s

please answer these questions

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)
Toyo Proxes T-1s 205/55-16

#2.) what is your geographic location

Upstate New York

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)

None, merely spirited street driving

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving

50/50

5.) your review and personal comments

I have about 9,000 miles on these. I bought them at the begining of last summer. The price was right @ $112.00 each. I had them mounted at a local place. SPD Tuning service was absolutly correct "[t]he stock suspension should not be changed until you drive the car on good performance tires." I did not have the inclination to go all the way and get the 17" wheels, so I just followed Mike's recomendation and got Toyo Proxes T-1S.

Last summer I don't think 48 hours passed without rain here. It was miserable, but the tires were fantastic in the wet. I am no Mario Andretti, or Goggles Paisano for that matter but, turn in was much improved and I am pleased with every aspect of their handling that has been discussed previously.

Untill I changed them back from the snow tires yesterday. THAY ARE JUST AS LOUD AS MY SNOW TIRES!. Sorry for shouting. Every day of clear pavement this winter, and there were not many,I dreamed of putting back on my quieter summer tires. Boy was I disapointed.

I routinely run 85 mph on the highway to go from one town to the next around Albany, NY. Meetings run late and you gatta do what you gotta do. Besides I just adore driving my WRX. The last time I loved a car this much it was an '89 Fleetwood.for totally different reasons, but that is another story.

Well, Goodyear F1 GS D3's were about $15 more. Pirelli P Zero Rosso's and Michelin Pilot Sports the same. I was strapped for cash at the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone the extra $60. Well, live and learn. If $60 means that much to you, then these are great tires, the diference between wet and dry is almost nil. Be warned, THEY ARE LOUD. Sorry for yelling again, I think I have permanenet hearing loss. Next time around, I will forgo that extra lap dance and go Goodyear based on what I have read here to date.

4/11/05

This is an addition after a warm weekend. It got up to about 70 degrees F, yesterday. I have heard these tires are temperature sensitive. Wow. these became much more quiet. I am still going to look at Michelin or Pirellis as I said above, but the noise I complained of but not quite as loud as snow tires. They are still loud though.

5/12/05

I just got the WRX back from its 60k service. Aliginment brakes and a left front bearing. Much of what I said about noice must be dsicounted. The tires were cupped and the bearing was bad. I had a friend I used to trust look at it. He said not much you can do, stuff happens but the bearing is probabaly fine. Took it to Goldstein Subaru here in Albany. I was right the bearing was bad on the left front. With the alignment (also no longer trust that same guy, least not on a Suby) Things are much quiter. SPD was right these are good tires. So sorry for wasting bandwidth.

I have left my previous stuff up to show I have a big mouth but at least the strength of character to admit it. I may still try Michelins or Goodyears next time though. I will keep you posted, and speak more softly.

Thanks for your participation
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by D. Romanucci; 05-12-2005 at 08:00 PM.
D. Romanucci is offline   Reply With Quote