Old 04-10-2005, 10:38 PM   #82
dannydsmv
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37131
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

[quote=Luke@tirerack]please answer these questions

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)
All are 205/55-16
Bridgestone RE-92
Nokiian Hakkapallitta
Dunlop Wintersport M3

#2.) what is your geographic location
Snowmass Village, Colorado

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)
Going to my first track day at 2nd Creek Raceway on 4/12

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving
90 hwy/10 city
In the summer 75% of my driving is spirited on twisty mtn roads.

#5.) your review and personal comments

1. The stock Bridgestone RE-92's suk.

2. For pure snow and ice driving the Nokian Hakkapalitta's studless snow tires absolutely rule (unless you step up to their studded tire). However they have very soft sidewalls and the large soft blocky tread is squirrely on the dry. They are also only Q speed rated (99mph). You have to be as or more conservative on the dry with these tires than the RE-92's. But, on snow and ice, they are as good as the RE-92's are in the dry. Nokian has replaced this tire with something called the NRW? Don't know anything about it, but I assume the idea was to improve on the Hakk-up-a-paycheck's. They are pricey but worth it if you want to go anywhere fast on snow and ice. Love the looks I get when I fly past SUV's at 80mph on snowy icey roads!

3. Dunlop Wintersport M3. V-rated tire (149mph). Blows the RE-92 away in the wet/dry/ice/snow. Blows the Nokian away in the dry. But, I estimate it has about 60-70% of the traction of the Nokian in snow/ice. These tires are suitable for year-round driving if you don't want to go through tire changes in the spring/fall or buy a 2nd set of rims.

I'm going to buy a 3rd set of wheels\tires. SSR's w/215/45-17 Gpodyear F1 GS-D3's. I'll review when I get them tested!

My plan is to run the Nokian's in the heart of winter, Dunlops in the shoulder seasons and GY's in the summer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dannydsmv is offline   Reply With Quote