75sausage
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 16310
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 RIP 02 WRX
Rally Blue

Default BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW

#1.) what tire are you offering for review (please include size)
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 225/45/17

#2.) what is your geographic location
New Jersey, USA

#3.) what types of driving events if any (i.e. track, AutoX, RallyX)
AutoX (1 on these tires)

#4.) percent of highway vs. city driving
50/50

#5.) your review and personal comments

Car and suspension:
'02 WRX sedan, H&R Sport Springs, KYB AGX struts, Perrin sway bars.

Personal comments:
I have had these tires since summer 2003 making this the begining of the third season. The tires now have approximately 15K miles on them including 2 round trips to florida.

Daily performance:
This is an excelent all around daily driving tire. It provides great feedback and very sharp turn in at any speed. The grip levels for daily driving are more than adequate. Wet performance is excelent and I have yet to feel the car hydroplaning; I was surprised how much wet grip these tires can afford.
During normal/spirited street driving the tires show minimal wear; another surprise after 2 seasons of using them.

On the down side the tires become very noisy above 40mph. It is not an uncomfortable level but audible enough to grab ones attention. The faily hard thread compound also conveys a little too much road surface than one my wish for during daily driving.

Track/Auto-x performance:
I have done 1 Auto-x even on these tires, puting about 8 miles worth of abuse on them over a fairly abrasive surface. On the track the tires perform predictably and offer sharp turn in and good road feel. When pushed too hard they will not break traction suddenly instead predictably drifting slightly until traction is regained.
The bad part for the track use is that grip is limited and the tire underperforms the likes of Azenis Sport. During the auto-x I classified 7th in my class and I am a novice driver Class D Ranking . I felt that a grippier tire would have scored better times.
I also noticed some stretch marks on front wheel sidewalls even though I was running with 41psi. Perhaps the walls are not as stiff as track use and my driving style desire.
The last drawback with auto-x-abusing this tire is that it chunks easily. The edges of the inner thread blocks were substantialy shaved of after the event. This could have been a result of the front tires "rolling over," or just me pusshing the tires beyond it's limits (and I did).

Overall:
Great street tire offering excelent performance in both wet and dry for a decent price with sligth road noise problem. Wears like a charm with normal driving. Track performance is good but not excelent with observed chunking and heavy thread wear.
I would buy this tire again for the daily driving.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
75sausage is offline   Reply With Quote