Thread: ('93-'01) billet shifter gate anyone?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2001, 09:53 PM   #17
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

Default prelim design work done :-)

ok I took apart my center console...

I removed the little plastic trim ring and used this as the guide.

I made a plexiglas model of the shape but the actual part will need to be ever-so-slightly curved so i put it in the toaster-oven...for a little too long. It foamed up on one end.

Drat. So I still had the trim ring out. I used my flatbed scanner and whatnot to get a black+white drawing scanned in. Hopefully this will be good enough to make a prototype... maybe not.

I have no web hosting anywhere, but i can send the pic to whomever wants a look. It's just a two-color tracing. Nothing special.

Anyway, I got the shift-pattern measured and here's the problem. The stock shifter is so portly that it would not even be able to utilize a gated cover. The shaft is nearly 1" diameter (maybe less) and the center-to-center spacing of where the shaft would be in 1st, 3rd, 5th gear is only 1/2".

See the problem? So i need a short-shifter before this can be realized. Anybody want to loan me one (or hehe donate) for measurements and whatnot? Preferebly somebody who lives near me so i can return it more quickly.

btw, front-to-back throw is about 2.5" at the gate. I suspect this will be significantly less with the short-throw!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote