View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
WRX-LI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 401267
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

As a HPDE for 11 years I have come to the conclusion that there is a huge difference in the amount of instruction given to driver school students between the various clubs. That is why I limit my instructing to BMWCCA events. The Northeast region has had an excellent instructor training school (ITS) in place for a decade now and instructors are vetted prior to be invited to the school based on their knowledge, temperment and ability to communicate. Once at the school instructor candidates go thru 3 days of extensive classroom training learning best practices on how to communicate effectively to the wide variety of students they are likely to encounter.

In addition they are tested in multiple daily track sessions with veteran instructors driving and simulating a host of different student driving styles and experience levels. The veteran instructors then provide feedback to the ITS candidate immediately after the session. When I took the course 12 years ago the percentage of candidates that passed on the first round was ~75%. All the ITS candidates were serious about learning the art of HPDE instructing and the veteran instructors running the program were all business.

I have heard many students talk about the lack of instruction and classroom training at other non-BMWCCA events (and some who complain about CCA events being to strick too). I've heard from novices who intimidated and even frightened by having been sent out on track in the same session as experience drivers. Some only getting and instructor for one session when they are clearly not ready to solo.

For the most part the students I've had really appreciate the level of classroom and in car instruction at BMW events. Even guys (and a few gals) that I had to rein in and call into the pits for a chat realized that I was doing it for their safety (plus mine and the other students on track).

The bottom line is that I agree, there are too many 'run what you brung' HPDE programs out there that don't offer enough instruction to students or instructors. There also is a lack of understanding by some students on the importance of quality instructing.

BMWCCA has done a great job creating a pool of talented, caring instructors in an all volunteer model with an excellent safety record. As an instructor I wouldn't feel comfortable going out on track with an organization that did less for the students and their instructors.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by WRX-LI; 09-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.
WRX-LI is offline   Reply With Quote