kcpaz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 194611
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy GT
Mexico Blue (not red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestic_abuser View Post
I'm amazed at how perfect the EJ motor fits in the Porsche. It truly is one of the most awesome things I've seen in quite awhile. The exhaust set-up is also a thing of beauty, but I'm not really a big fan on the design to be honest. The wastegate dumps coming out behind the car aren't for me, but I know it's a Euro thing. Good luck finishing up your build, I can't wait to see the numbers this car makes and the lap times it puts down!

The one negative thing I'm going to say is the header is super long, way longer than on any Impreza due to the turbo location. Is there no other place to mount it? Even though this entire setup is a huge step up from the stock motor like you've said, having that much piping might make the car a bit laggy. I'm one of the people who don't mind lag (I have a T04S which is a non ball bearing GT35) but many people are afraid of buying a 20G due to lag lol. I myself am by no means even close to as good a fabricator as you, so please don't think that I'm one of the idiots on here that thinks they know everything lol. I assume the turbo is in the best location you possibly could fit it, I was just pointing out the issue and asking anyways.

The wastegate dumps were done like that because I didn't want to just dump them straight down under the car in front of the rear bumper. I want all of the exhaust gasses to exit behind the car not under it. If I decide to go with a flat bottom and rear defuser, I don't want to have to go back and fix this later. As far is it being a Euro thing... I don't know about that because I'm not into Euro cars really. I just thought it would look cool, and so far, you are the first person who hasn't cared for the look. (which is fine)

As far as the headers being "long"... While it's true that they are longer than the aftermarket EL Subie headers, they aren't a whole lot longer in reality once you factor in the up-pipe. Also, I did a lot of test fitting, and analyzing before I settled on this turbo location, and truth is, there is really nowhere else in the chassis for it to go. You have to remember, in these pictures, there are a lot of suspension pieces and other parts missing that restrict turbo placement, especially with such a relatively large turbo.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote