Scooby Guru

Member#: 51961
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2005 STi
2012 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWRX13 View Post
in my experience i have had the following....(i live in fairfield county ct...rural enough but not in farmland)

completely stock 13wrx sedn. - 19-22mpg driving easy on it and about 17-19 driving like a madman 24mpg on a 5th gear cruise control set at 70 / rolling in 5th between 40 and 65mph i have gotten 26-30.

Cobb AP stage 1 stock parts - 16-19mpg any way you slice it...pay to play.

what i do now is flashed my ECU to economy mode which turns down your boost to about 8PSI and rev limiter to 5K (please note: this is a lean map - you punish your car with this map and you WILL mess something up....dont bother flashing back to stock after because subaru can tell if you have messed with the edu.) this allows me about 22-25mpg when i want to turn it up i do a real time flash (takes about 3 seconds) and voila boost for all.

as far as 91vs93....the cobb AP lets you do it efficiently...no matter how you slice it 91 burns lower temp then 93....this is for people that love their engines more then vagina...which i sometimes do. but people in CA will run 91 forever.

if you want really good gas mileage - go buy a honda.
What on earth are you talking about?

1) A stage 1 tune does not lower gas mileage unless you are always going WOT. Neither does stage 2. If you don't use the additional power, you don't use the additional gas.

2) The economy tune is a complete waste of time and a marketing gimmick. Use your right foot to control fuel consumption, you'll do a much better job than that POS ticking time bomb of a tune.

3) A real time flash does not set all of the tables properly, only those that are explicitly specified. Be very careful going WOT with just a real time tune running on top of an economy base map, because there could still be a few "economy map" tables that are in effect.

4) 93 does not burn hotter than 91, and 91 is not for protecting the engine. The octane rating essentially tells you how controllable the burn is. 87 is like the fire swamps in the princess bride, it's going to ignite somewhere, but you don't know when or where. 93 still sucks, but is better. Race gas is like a bunsen burner, you know exactly how it's burning, where it's burning, how hot it's burning, and where the flame front is moving. It's controllable, slower, and can you can get much more aggressive with the tune without the risk of the air/fuel mixture exploding for no damn reason during the compression stroke and blowing a hole through your piston.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
the suicidal eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote