Old 07-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
shahsmerdis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374109
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default rotor hot spots after 19k miles 2013 impreza

Hi everyone,
Please see attached picture. http://imgur.com/a/eI1wD

background 2013 impreza non turbo 19k miles. first set of pads.

First I noticed I have a line on my rotor, so i thought my brakes were low, but when I measured (without taking off the wheel) I noticed i still have ~5mm left . New oem pads when i looked up are 9.7mm. Brakes don't squeal, So i can't say where this line came from but anyway I am more concerned with the color of the rotors.

They have 19k (mostly city) on them ( I noticed these marks earlier,~4-5k ago) Based on google, I guess they are hot spots from braking too hard. I live in nyc and I always have to brake randomly that is out of my control. not to mention I need to cross the GWB every day so that doesn't help.

My buddy says they are shot, but I but I notice similar marks on my 14 forester. So I am wondering, are we both just driving too fast, are others seeing similar type marks, or are these rotors under spec?

I do plan to change the rear out soon, since I have 5mm left, I generally like to go oem, but looking how crappy these rotors perform after 19k miles I wouldn't mind upgrading with performance rotors.

any suggestions? I seem options for the rear are really limited. I guess there is not much you can do with a single layer solid rotor. with both pads pushing down on the same piece of metal maybe its just too hot for it. I wish they were like the front (dual layer/vented) so they don't build up so much heat.

I am going to get an oil change at the dealer this week so they can give me their opinion. I'll get a list of recommended work and just do it myself as well.

edit: No shimmying/warped rotor, if people say this is a subaru thing, then ill just replace the pads, but honestly since ill probably do the work myself i don't mind coughing up for rotors since all said and done will be less than 200.

Thanks guys!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shahsmerdis is offline   Reply With Quote