View Single Post
Old 02-12-2002, 08:19 AM   #25
flatfourx4
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15257
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Platinum

After reading sajohnson’s letter, I felt compelled to share my similar experiences. (I wish I had answers rather than just more questions though)

I have a first allocation wagon whose engine also experiences surging intermittently, (even when fully warm) most noticeable under 2/3 to full throttle between about 3000 and 4500 RPM. In addition, throttle response when starting off from a dead stop seems rather poor, and especially with a sometimes grabby clutch, it is difficult to get started smoothly without what seems to be a lot of clutch slipping with a bit of lug thrown in at full engagement at times.

This situation was particularly agonizing when I took the car on a trip to Durango, Colorado last Spring, and it was nearly impossible to get a smooth start without a long clutch slipping/high rev procedure! I think I understand the concept of low compression + low rpm = turbo lag, but it would be ridiculous to expect a driver (and clutch plate) to tolerate this on a regular basis!

Which brings me finally to the big ECU reprogramming question. In September I had the car in for a CEL, (the dealer found code P1443, Vent Control Solenoid; the ECU was then reset) and was mainly told the computer is very sensitive, and if the problem occurs again, I could bring the car in to have the ECU reprogrammed. They didn’t have any answers on the altitude problem, as it couldn’t be duplicated in Minnesota.

After a few more CEL’s (that were tripped by accelerating and cornering with about a quarter tank of gas) that eventually shut off, I brought the car in again. This time they found code P0463, (fuel level sensor voltage high) and said they wouldn’t reflash the ECU. Instead, they would have to drop the fuel tank to get at the sensor, and indicated, in effect, they’d have to disassemble the underside of the car from the end of the transmission back to get the thing out! I didn’t really care much for that idea, as under most circumstances, I don’t like to have my car worked on by somebody else, and it seemed like pretty severe wrenching for a minor issue. Since they didn’t have a rental car available anyway, I politely declined until further incidences of the CEL.

So, now I’m not sure what to do about a car I think isn’t running at it’s full potential, especially when I can’t really be sure if it’s the car or just me, and the dealer can’t pinpoint any obvious defects! Could it be a bad ECU? Anyone got any suggestions?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
flatfourx4 is offline   Reply With Quote