View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Vandelay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 336306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
Oh jeez, that's tough stuff. What do you think caused the bearing failure so quick? Was it a cracked oil feed tube or debris in the oil system or perhaps just a improperly assembled block?

I'm trying to see what the average life of a repair is after a failure. Some say repeat failure is imminent if you don't change out every single oil related component. Not just the oil cooler but oil feed lines, oil pump, avcs oil passages and cam pulley actuators, oil pan and pickup tube.

I'd like to hear of someone getting over 100k miles after a rod-bearing failure repair that wasn't just a longblock swap.
I am in the midst of a build on my 07 Limited due to rod bearing failure (or what I suspect to be)...car has 66K miles on it and has been Stage II (Cobb custom 20 psi tune, CAI, Cattless TBE, APS DR525 FMIC) since 5K miles old.

I ran into an unknown low oil situation due to blow-by combined with a hard downshift caused the failure. I've yet to pull the motor apart but all signs point to a rod bearing. The car ran and drove after the "incident" but had a strong rattling sound.

I got a old but brand new 2010 shortblock from a local rally team with the nitrided crank and a local shop is installing standard bore Mahle's. I wasn't considering replacing the entire lubrication system other than the oil pump, but I too would like to see mileage numbers from members who've reused oil pickups (already have the Killer Bee, along with the windage tray), and the topend parts mentioned.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote