ride5000
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32792
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default getting the most out of the tuner pro

in my endless search for data, i have come across a new ally: the turboxs tuner pro.

there are four datalogging inputs that are just begging to be used.

the first step is to find out what kind of hardware connectors they are, and what kind of pins they use. then a source for these parts must be found, and the parts ordered.

my plan is to wire up digital input #1 as its intended purpose... rpm signal.

digital input #2 will be used for the vehicle speed sensor.

analog input #1 will be used along with my omega engineering super mcj thermocouple to analog connector. this will allow me to log the temperature of my choosing. all i'll have to do is rig up a thermocouple wire. most likely, manifold air temps. (i will also have to add a x10 voltage gain amplifier, to put the output of the SMCJ--which is 1mV/deg--into a more usable range, but that's another thread.)

as an example, i'm thinking digital input #2 and analog input #1 can be used to track IC efficiency at speed.

now, i would LOVE to use analog input #2 to interface with a MAP sensor--but the MAP sensor would not be for intake manifold pressure, but rather exhaust manifold pressure, or EGBP.

the easiest way to do this would be to use the existing bung on my gutted stock up pipe, but finding a suitable adapter is proving impossible. it looks like i'll have to make one up. i do NOT want to have to remove the up pipe, so one that threads into the existing bung would be great!

the other issue is that i will have to prevent the MAP sensor and its associated hookup tubing from being melted so that will require some length of heat resistant (probably soft copper) tubing to route the pressure signal. there won't be any actual flow of exhaust gas through it, so i'm thinking copper will do.

the reason i'm so interested in EGBP is a) no one seems to be measuring it, and it seems to me pretty damned important and b) i have a modified (p+p) stock exhaust housing that i'm dying to slap on, and i know it will help performance, but i want to know how much, and--most particularly--WHY it helped. logging a change in spool-up time has been done before, and will be done by me as well, but i have a suspicion that the reduction in EGBP is the hidden benefit that is often overlooked. having not only some idea of the change but an actual LOG of the changes would be benificial for all.

so, bottom line(s):

anyone know the mfg. / part # of the molex-style pinout headers on the tuner pro?

anyone have any suggestions as to how to measure EGBP with an electronic MAP sensor (in particular, using the oem up pipe EGT bunghole)?

any and all thoughts welcomed...
ken
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote