Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

I'd like to get my hands on one and do some measurements. Your employer has one right now in GA, but I just don't have the cash right now. It's my understanding that the late Ej20G became the basis for the Ej205 engines. I believe that the head ports are smaller than an EJ20K or Ej207 and there may be other differences like valve size and camshaft profiles. I figure that they are as good of a builder as our USDM Ej205's are at much lower cost, higher initial power levels, and totally compatible with the early cars.

I would suspect they are more reliable than a 93-96 Ej20G just based on age and mileage. And they equal the 93-94 cars in power and are more than a 95-96 wagon and are only outperformed by the early STi's and the 95-96 5MT sedan engines. But even that doesn't matter because they are modern enough that they have under inlet manifolds and are just a VF39 or any other bolt on turbo out there from 300+hp. They also don't have those pesky COP coils and have a slew of parts that are shared with USDM cars.

I suspect if we start seeing more of them coming stateside and available through importers (wink wink, nudge nudge) then they would sell well. My only concern is if they get popular they invariably will get marked up more by the importers in a year or two.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote