ansonowicz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 103179
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 Focus RS
SoCal F4 #21

Default AVCS VVT Angle Woes

After recently building my motor and able to break it in, I finally went for a tune. The tuner was perplexed by the slow boost times and inability to get power out of what would otherwise be a good setup.

He pointed out the following AVCS behavior. He put in a safe, reliable map so I can continue to drive daily until I get this resolved and return for a proper tune. The VVT angle actually fluctuates between 2-4 degrees while the other intake cams are moving along between 18-22 degrees. This tells me the solenoid is actuating and not just reporting 0.

I removed both OCV solenoids, wired up a 12v source to see it actuating properly. CHECK. Checked oil lines to the heads to make sure there aren't any obstructions or clogged filters, CHECK.

Is it possible for the Cam gear to be dissassembled to make sure there isn't any gunk in there and allow proper operation? Or should I just swap both of the Cam gears out? This build has exhausted my funds, so avoiding a couple hundred dollars in favor of some extra labor is fine by me.

Thanks in advance.
Anson

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ansonowicz is offline   Reply With Quote