Tryptofan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 216924
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX STi
White

Default New Intercoolers: ETS vs. Process West vs. Spearco

Intercooler shootout! I've searched for a few hours trying to find a definitive answer to this on the forums, with no luck thus far. I figured I would put it to people who actually might know the answer to this, so I can make my decision (hopefully in the next few days).

I'm in the market for a great top mount for my 09 STi, and money isn't a huge object (so long as I'm getting my money's worth for what I end up with!). To anyone who would ask, "why not an FMIC/rotated setup?!" my reply is that I don't want to do without the front crash bar for safety reasons, and I like not having to worry as much about road hazards destroying my intercooler (as I DD the vehicle). I've narrowed down the choice to:

1. ETS - a newcomer to the Subaru market but with what seems to be a good reputation in the non-Subaru world. There's not much in the way of data from them so far - they actually seem a little evasive about this when asked in their group buy thread, which makes me worried about buying their product. However, they're a few hundred cheaper than Spearco or PW. Currently in stock.

2. Spearco - 1000 cfm. Huge intercooler, low pressure drop. Needs to be adjusted to fit into an 08+ STi. Expensive (950-1070). A little ugly, but definitely seems like a good choice. Currently in stock.

3. Process West. No clue about flow, but the reputation on these forums is absolutely fantastic. Great, proven build quality. Very large intercooler, requires no fitment adjustments. Looks pretty nice as well. Slightly cheaper than the Spearco (retails from 900-1000).

Currently, my impression is that the process west is the highest build quality and is almost on par with the Spearco in terms of cooling power (indeed I would have most likely already bought it, however, it's backordered until almost November, and I figured it gives me a chance to figure out what is really the best TMIC available.)

So, intercooler gurus, what is the best choice out there? Are there other options that are even better than these that I haven't considered yet?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tryptofan is offline   Reply With Quote