Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297312
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Dark Gray Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhat View Post
I'm using the Scosche dash kit that came with my H/U for "free" from Crutchfield. The kits you linked to are nice, but I'm fine with the Scosche. It blends well enough with the rest of the dash for my tastes. The only thing you have to be sure of with this dash kit and the 4400 is that when you attach it to the H/U chassis, you have to be sure the H/U is resting on the lower part of the opening. A gap of about 1/8" is left on the top of the dash kit opening. You can't see the gap after it's installed, but this is crucial for allowing the face to push out when tilting the view or ejecting/loading a disc. I had the h/u pushed up in the kit on my initial setup and threw a **** fit when I realized the unit wouldn't open. I made the adjustment and it's all good now.
I'm having a hard time visualizing but I'm sure when I'm in the thick of it I'll know what you're talking about here. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
As for the Axxess wiring....nothing was "wrong" with it. The only issue i ran into was whenI realized I'd have to cut into the Subaru's wiring to hook it up. I installed it without steering wheel controls, and today I ordered a new harness from SVXdc. That guy knows his stuff and answered my emails promptly. Hopefully, I'll have my harness by this weekend, and If i get the time I will pull the H/U out, wire in the new harness and have steering wheel controls.
I was still a bit confused about this part, but as I started typing I think I figured it out. There's a wire harness in the Pioneer box, and another wire harness you get for your Subie (I think Crutchfield includes it as one of those "free" accessories") and then you gotta connect them like in this post. But I'm guessing that picture only handles the head unit itself? And there is a separate set of wires with a separate wire harness for the SWC?

Quote:
You can do this install. This is one of the easiest cars I've dealt with. I've had a civic SI and a mazdaspeed 3, both of which required the dash to be dissected to get to the H/U.

Get your nuts out of the soup and do it. you'll be fine. there's plenty of resources here. hell, PM me and I'll scan the crutchfield master sheet and email it to you. easy step by step instructions with pics. save your money by not paying an installer.
Thanks for that. I pulled the trigger on a 3400bt from Crutchfield last night so if I stick with it I'll have the detailed manual from them too. Of course my old friend from high school saw my post about my purchase on FB and then tells me he could get me a way better price b/c he works at a shop . So we'll see what ends up happening in the end. If my buddy can get me a good enough price I might return the Crutchfield 3400 and get the 4400 through my buddy. If that happens I might hit you up for that master sheet.

Thanks again for your time! Definitely appreciate the effort of posting your experience and the additional votes of encouragement
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
badz is offline   Reply With Quote