Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 AM   #16
reddevil
Scooby Guru

Member#: 64673
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1990 Legacy wagon
goes 12.387 @ 116.5

Well, I spent alot of time running around today. I did manage to get my intake and throttle body piping fabricated for about $175 total. This included having the modified aluminium intake welded ($30), the adaptor plate made out of steel ($60) and the exhaust shop made my intake piping for $75. Plus some parts from home depot $21. Then I had to go home and get my kids and take the babysitter home. I thought I was done until Saturday. Butttt...

Ok, I couldnt wait. I had to hook it up and "test" it and just see if it even came close to working correctly. IT DOES! Its unbelieveable. Even with it not having everything bolted tightly, and electrical tape as the hose connector between the intake and throttle body, it ran and idled (I did not drive it).

It did not idle well at all. But I suspect/know this was because of all the loose fittings and a single major vacumn leak. And the car will not idle period if the supercharger is turned off. It needs a supercharger bypass valve for when at idle or just off. It also NEEDS!!!!! a blow off valve because there is so much boost it is going to cause serious problems when you let off the gas. I do have a bosch blow off valve which is plastic and has some sort of electrical connection as well as a vacumn connection. I will need to figure out how it works!

However when you gave it some gas it just took off! I didn't ever even hit half throttle there was so much boost involved. I was hoping the boost guage I have hooked up to the throttle vacumn line would show boost but it did not so I have no idea how much boost is involved yet.

AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME! I was dissapointed when I was testing it in the last few days because you really couldnt hear it over the exhaust. However with all the parts hooked up, the exhaust and secondary noises quiet down and the supercharger sound increases.

Man , I can not wait! I give myself a 90% chance of having it up and running on Saturday.

Last edited by reddevil; 08-05-2004 at 12:59 AM.
reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote