View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
Idahoreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116894
Default 2002 WRX electrical issues

Alright, so here is the situation, my friend kat has a 2002 WRX wags and It currently has a FMIC, muffler, JDM HID's, CAI, Lowered, epic kenwood setup with touch screen and what have you. Anyway, is has run like a top for the last 5 years but last week it starting acting up, Here's the deal.

When you put the car in the ON position the lights dim around the dash and the theres weird noises coming from the Engine bay, the FP pressurizes fine, the headlights flicker all over the place and seem to barely getting power. Then when I try to start it I get a single click out of the starter and thats it. She said once when she was driving the speedo was going all over the place. When she jumps the car from another perosn vehicle it seems to start just about every time. I'm lost because

1. the battery is fine, tested it at 630 CCA's and 12.6V
2. The alternator shouldn't afftect any type of pre-starting electrical components.
3. The starter selenoid could be bad but that still souldn't affect the flickering lights and ****.
4. The terminals seem to be decently clean and I didn't see an excessive corrosion where the wires attach to the top mounts.
5. I didn't think any of our Subies had any type of starter relay in the fuse box but regardless I check every fuse inside and out.
6. All the grounds and power lines are good to the battery

So now I'm really lost, Jake as O rielly's said that the ECU could be ****ed but I highly doubt that in an 02 let alone any subaru I've ever worked on. ANy advice will help guys. Thanks a ton.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Idahoreza is offline   Reply With Quote