Scooby Guru

Member#: 43393
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2014 Audi a6
Daytona Gray

Default Summer tire decisions

Oh boy,

flame suit on. Uncle Scotty shades....on.

lol

So here it is. I got into doing some HPDE last season and want a tire to do both DD and spend some time at the track. I am not expecting these tires to make it more than they year, if they do... thats a better ROI than I expected.

Track experience has been with my OEM Dunlop sp600's that I didn't find to be as bad as some people say (please don't argue about this). Yes there were a LOT of tire pressure adjustments that had to be made... for HPDE and not a competitive race it didn't seem to be a HUGE inconvenience...at the time. Traction seemed to be fine as long as the pressure was maintained around 33-35 psi.

One of the things my instructors mentioned towards the end of the season was the need for better tires. I don't plan to really 10/10 this car every track experience and having track dedicated wheels and tires isn't available to me yet.

This leads me to my question.

I see that on Tirerack that it appears that the Dunlop Starspec z1 is being replaced soon... The new Toyo R1r is now available and then there is also the Advan Neova. The Hankook RS-3 gets good dry results but not so good wet results (I'm still DD these during the summer).

1.) Coming from the SP600, should I look at a Max performance summer tire for a better experience both at my HPDE and on my DD?

I feel that if the MPS tires cost almost as much and I am not looking for a tire to last 20-30k miles I should go as aggressive as my budget allows.

2.) What are people's opinions about the newer technologies (RS-3 vs SSz1)?
I read an article that really put down the dunlops versus some UHP tires because of rubber and tread technologies (motortrend ?).

3.) If MPS is recommended, what are the thoughts about the Bridgestone S-04's or the Conti DW?

Thank you in advance.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Louie is offline   Reply With Quote