View Single Post
Old 05-23-2000, 08:26 AM   #21
Geezer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 915
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza Turbo
DBM

I also believe that people should help themselves, but the American model is by no means ideal either. Somewhere in between perhaps. You cannot just let people rot because they have fallen on hard times, or because they cannot achieve as much as others. Someone cleaning the streets may work just as hard os the CEO of a major corporation, but they will just never make it. Not everyone can make it, there has to be a hierarchy. That's just the way it is. You can not achieve full employment in the capitalist system, so what do you do with those who can't find work? If your father was laid off, but couldn't get another job because employers discriminated against him because of age, do you agree he should be left to starve? I doubt it very much.

Perhaps he could use his severance money to buy a gun, and then start holding up 7/11s. It's little wonder there is so much crime stateside!

Equal pay for equal work is fine. The returning mother is unlikely to get promotion/big pay rises because the hours she can put in will be determined by her children. You, however, can work your butt off if you want, and will get rewarded for it. You will rise inexorably thruogh the ranks, which from what you've said is just what you want anyway, so what harm does a woman on maternity leave do? They don't get paid for the full term they are off (well not in Europe anyway), so where's the harm in that?

The only valid complaint I've heard so far is that the original woman in question didn't do much before she went off and that he has to cover her work now she is off. Both are failings in management, not the law, rights etc. She obviously is a lazy bitch, but don't tar all women who want children with the same brush.

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited May 23, 2000).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.