View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #27
stevefazek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 128922

yes the early 2000s DOHC 2.5s still cooked head gaskets my moms did at 75k.
2 different problems i dont remember which years do what but one gen had inner gasket problems and the other outer.
People will debate what is worse, having the engine no over heat but sludging the engine up and corroding the internals from coolant contamination with a outter or over heating the engine and warping the head on a inner. For me if its a beater id rather have an outter than a inner. If your planning to fix it asap then an inner is better i say

While not horrible from my understanding of them is this. People who dont maintain their coolant or ran every electronic accessory at once had this problem. As coolant breaks down it becomes more conductive. As it becomes more conductive it would lead to galvanic corrosion due to move current travelling through the coolant.

There are ways to look for any potential HG leaks like i said, sniff for hydrocarbons in the coolant, make sure the coolant looks fresh, take a compression testing of the engine before you buy it. A friend and you can do it in about 15 min.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
stevefazek is offline   Reply With Quote