Scooby Guru

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-coast-punk
This is why I don't understand why people take their daily drivers out on the track.
Because not all of us have the means or facilities or desire to support a track-only car, the tow vehicle, the trailer, and the extra space to house all that. And when it comes down to it, HPDE-ing is pretty damn safe, so the overwhelming majority of participants can track their daily driver without any worries of bending sheetmetal at an event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-coast-punk
The best driver in the world in a perfect car will still stuff it in the wall given enough time. If you don't you're not pushing enough.
Again, it's a HPDE, not a race. I agree that if you're pushing the limits all the time, eventually you will step past the line and crunch your car. Been there, done that (quite famously I might add). But at a HPDE there really isn't any need to be pushing that hard. (Which is not to say that I don't... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sheehan
Driving your car at 10/10ths is fine.
Agree on that one, too. On the one hand, I'm sure my car could be driven harder/faster by a more capable driver, but I'm generally pushing about as hard as I can. Really the only time I can think of consciously driving 7 or 8/10ths (of my ability) was on the 2 occasions I ran my sister's WRX wagon. She did me a huge favor by letting me open track her car while mine was out of commission, it would have been rather ****ty of me to repay the favor by wrecking her car. And even then, I still went out and flogged it as hard as I could for the first few laps of each session to "see what she'll do", then backed it off a bit for the rest of the session.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote