Scooby Newbie

Member#: 234291
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - '04 EJ257
w/ ECU & Fuel -'04 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower_454 View Post
I have a 05 WRX 2.0l and I hate the turbo lag and short power band. It seems like everything I would need to do to cut down the turbo lag will cost as much as a short/long block swap. If I swapped my short block with a 06+ WRX/STi short block, what else would I need to do to make it run correctly? I assume I should probably put a different turbo on as well if I did but which one?

Everytime someone asks about cutting down on turbo lag someone recommends going ot a 2.5l but I searched and searched and cannot find many detailed threads from people who have done it. Is that because it is a straight swap with a custom tune?

Ok... I'm really not trying to be an A-S-S, but it seems like you don't have very much turbo knowledge/experience. I only say this because it's common knowledge that the EJ205's with the TD04 Mitsubisi turbos have an awesome rate Spool (VERY LITTLE LAG...) I mean you can hit 17 PSI at 26/800 RPM's... and you even start MAKING boost before 2K RPM's!!! THAT IS ABOUT AS FAST AS TURBOS GET!!!

Once you put an STI motor in, it won't change much... but using the EJ257's stock turbo(The IHI VF-39) it will have more mid/top end power than the TD04, but it won't spool to full boost until like 30/3200 RPM's!

Do a little research, and just look through a bunch of threads... the questions you are asking are out there, and very readily found. Once you are more familiar with Subaru upgrading, and more importantly TURBO cars, you will understand a lot more! I thought I knew a lot at one time... and that was several years into owning my WRX... but I didn't know squat unitl I really started digging into possibilities of Modding my car, and then swapping motors!

Read the NEWBIE Thread, and a lot of the FAQ's... it gives a lot of good info, and there is a part in there about the many different turbos availiable on subaru's. The ones I listed are the main 2 that come on cars you are interested in!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Maverick7531 is offline   Reply With Quote