View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #138
bnio
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 259531

Wanted to post an update about the BFM cable. I had some friends in the electrical engineering department at my local university and we were able to read and determine the chip manufacturer with out taking the cable apart. It is using Win Chip Head, Chinese based company, usb chip for communication and not the common FTDI Taiwan chips used in everything else. I have a funny feeling BFM was supplying the FTDI drivers with the a cable that had a completely different chip manufacturer which requires different drivers which still do not work. I bought two different VAGCOM OBD2 cables off ebay with FTDI chips and both work right out of the box, its amazing what happens when you have legit silicon in there. Anyway I wanted to make people aware of the latest cables from BFM housing WinChipHead chips instead of the more common FTDI chips which have proven very reliable and trouble free. I would not recommend the BFM cable at this time due to the inability of the cable to communicate with RomRaider and other software with the supplied drivers from BFM and the correct Chinese drivers and this was tested on four different computers. It will be interesting to see how the conversation progresses when I place a call about this issue to BFM later this week. Now you are more informed and I hope I saved someone from some future frustration and heartache.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
bnio is offline   Reply With Quote