mexicanmissile
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 350225
Vehicle:
2013 impreza sport
ice blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
I don't know I beat the s'not out of our FRS and raced it twice, had it on the dyno multiple times, ran it redline from day one, and in 1300 miles of that never used any oil. I changed it then as I'm not a fan of running normal oil change intervals during break-in. If you've ever cut open your oil filter on a new motor after break-in you'll understand why.

Now on a boosted high power build I would never break-in the motor this way as even 5 psi of boost has more power and cylinder pressure than this car. Without adequate cylinder pressure its much harder to seat these hard steel rings. I think the guys that babied this engine too much are going to be the ones who didn't get a fast ring seat and will pay the price, maybe just initially, with more oil consumption.

Also as oil breaks down you'll use much more. So in many cases you'll see no oil consumption in 1000the miles, then 1/2 quart at 2000the miles, and then a full quart between 2-3kthe miles. Just get in a habit of checking that oil at least every other gas fill up.
Good info. I replaced my new 2013 Impreza's oil and filter at 1k miles since I have seen not in a car filter but in high performance race motorcycles what you describe inside the filter. Ive been thinking of switching the 0w20 subaru synthetic oil recommended to a Motul . Any recommendations? has anyone here actually used 0w20 and had sucess for long term engine life? It seems real lite and I feel that thats why once the engine has been run for over 30 min, it gets noisy as the oil breaks down.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mexicanmissile is offline   Reply With Quote