Scooby Guru

Member#: 32669
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2007 2.34LR, EFR7670
LINK G4+ hybrid STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywrx View Post
The choice is up to you on the PCV, I tie the heads into the crank breather and send it into the turbo inlet. Eventually I want to put a catch can in to catch any oil vapor but I think of my FMIC as a huge catch can anyway. My goal is to pull a high vacuum on the breathers at high boost just like the engineers at subaru did from the turbo inlet. Under high manifold vacuum when the PCV valve would be open it allows the oil vapors to be burned more effectively rather than condensing in the intercooler and dripping down reducing the engines HC cruising emissions since that is the only time it would ever be open. THink about it, the valve would only be open when there is a negative pressure differential between manifold vacuum and the intake pre turbo, IE idle vacuum (3-5psi absolute) to ~10-12 psi absolute exactly where the car would be cruising.
That idea is bad on many levels.

You don't want to burn oil ever, even at idle. Motor oil is not fuel oil and it will foul plugs and coat your piston to with a nasty hard crust. It was not meant to be burned ever.

An oily intercooler is also an inefficient intercooler. That oily film in your catch can/FMIC is negatively effecting performance. Keeping oil out of the intake tract is the goal.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kellygnsd is offline   Reply With Quote