Scooby Guru

Member#: 442
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehnm View Post
That's what I thought - but at 16k, the wifee hit something in the road and it left a little bubble in the sidewall. So, I had to get new tires. 4 new tires, since it's AWD. I went to Discount Tire and got the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus - specs looked good.

Does anybody have any experience with the Pirelli? Several years ago I got some for a Saab. They handled well, but wore out quickly... Anyway I went through Discount, they always been berybery good to me.

I spent the extra $86 and got the free replacement warranty - I figure with 50 aspect tires it won't take a very big rock to bust another sidewall...
So what happened to wifes A through D (if you're up to wifee now)?

I've always stayed clear from Pirelli. Overpriced for the quality, capabilities.

I've always gone to tirerack.com and looked at the survey results of the category of tire I'm interested in getting and went based on their rank vs price.

The jury is still out on how well the new P7s will perform, but the P6s did not fare that well from ownership survey results. The P7s are Grand Touring all season (very new tires), so will fit within this category...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

One thing I found interesting is there are 3 version of the P7. All season, all season plus and all season run-flat.

I'll usually go for tires that are good in wet and also good in snow (for all seasons). But I'm also rather finicky when it comes to tires and would rather have a set for Spring/Summer/Fall.

I'm in new territory with the XV as this is the 1st car that I won't be preferring higher performance tires in the dry. So we'll see how these Yoko Geolanders do (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS). I'm fairly satisfied with them in 7th place... but my real-world experience with the road noise confirms what others have stated in the surveys... they're the loudest of the top 10 tires (loudest of the top 30), and their wet performance is, to me, marginal. But until they have to be replaced, I'll deal with them. ANd one thing is certain, I wouldn't be replacing them at $188/per when there are better, cheaper alternatives (like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS... #1 in the category).

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote