Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #191
my0six
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 341826
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2005 WRX MY06
Light Bluish Silver

Okay, so I don't know if this is the right place to write this, but can anybody tell me; would it be considered acceptable for a person with no tuning experience to go out and buy a tactrix and start learning how to use it?

I have an MY06 and the air pump has died. After weeks of speaking to my mechanic mates, dealerships and looking through these and other Subaru forums, I've decided to remove the pump and delete the CEL codes...

I've already wasted $50 having a tuner that didn't listen to me "clear" my CEL codes 4 times in a row, and then tell me after I said "I specifically asked for the codes GONE and the thing REFLASHED" that he couldn't do that, but I still had to pay for what he had done... And another tuner has quoted me a few hundred to do this...

If I can get the tools to do a job myself for cheaper than to have the service performed, I always try to do it myself.

So when I found out I could get the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 for less than the cost of the tune (reminder, this is just some CEL codes for a secondary air pump delete, not a performance tune or anything), I decided that I'd look into doing it myself.

Anyway, I tend to waffle on a bit, but basically, what I'm asking is this:

Is this thread for qualified tuners? Or are there people out there teaching themselves to do this stuff??
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
my0six is offline   Reply With Quote