Scooby Guru

Member#: 120273
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
06 WRBWRXWGN
Now with 100% more Spec-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by amroof View Post
lol. oh and ken me brembo bleed screw was welded up and ready for the machine shop to re tap. but im running it as is for now. good luck and i should have braces soon.
Good to hear this. I've got my fingers crossed that the shop can fix the existing hole with the threaded insert, but if not, welding will be my next try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHARA View Post
whats up with all these brembo bleed screws goin bad?
The Brembo calipers are aluminum and the bleed screws are steel. The mounting bolts are steel too. The problem becomes that the two metals are too dissimilar and galvanic corrosion tends to occur quickly, especially in salty/wet climates. This nearly welds the two metals together and it's very hard to over come. Most of the time, the steel bolt will be removed and take much of the aluminum threads with it. In these situations, a good anti-seize is advisable, but it does not look like Brembo or Subaru used any.

This is also coupled with two other factors: 1) Bleed screws have a hole in the center and tend to collapse inward and fail easier than other bolts. 2) The caliper mounting bolt torque was specified wrong in the first edition 2004 and 2005 STi manuals and as such many people/shops have grossly over torques the bolts. This galls the aluminum threads and they tend to pull out with the bolt the next time you remove them.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kpluiten is offline   Reply With Quote