renyo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93577
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
98 Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastenova View Post
So this makes sense if you could change the speed at which the device communicating with the ECU receives and sends data at; but I'm not sure whether that option is available in most cases. The ISO 9141-2 protocol used by early OBD-II Subaru ECUs has a specific speed at which it communicates, 10.4 Kbps, and if you change the clockline, you're changing the speed at which the ECU is sending/receiving data. As I mentioned, this makes regular OBD-II communication impossible using ISO9141 on any standard scan tool.
True, however I was referring to the first version of SSM, and talking with a laptop. People say that (along with OBDII) this first version of SSM is too slow for logging. If we can speed it up... (which like I said is done by the main programming calling a routine every ~512us) then it might make it viable for logging. There's not a huge amount of things SSM will report, but it's better than the OBD protocol and still has some pretty good parameters..

Edit: Also, 1953 (the SSM-1 baud rate) isn't standard anyway. If it can be sped up, maybe as an added bonus we can hit a standard baud rate.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
renyo is offline   Reply With Quote