Scooby Newbie

Member#: 104
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Wagon
White

Default Engine Build Part 4: Attaching the heads

Hi All,
It has been a couple weeks since my last update...I had forgot to bring my camera last weekend, so I had to use the shops camera...and then I forgot to download the pictures on to my computer, so I had to wait until this weekend to get the pictures. Anyways, here is a description of getting the heads bolted to the short-block.

So first thing to do is to use a thread chaser to clean out the head-stud bolt holes:

We would get some metal shavings that came out on the chaser that might interfere with the head-studs:

So after all 12 holes are chased and cleaned, we installed the ARP head-studs:

Just coat each bolt up with assembly lube, or thread sealant:

And screw it by hand...and just give it a little torque at the end. After 6 of em, this is what you have on one side:

Do the other side and we are ready to bolt on the heads. Here they are waiting just after unwrapping them:

Place the head gasket:

And slide the head into place:

No pictures of torquing down the blots, but I bet you can imagine what that looks like! Like most things when assembling an engine, there is a specified pattern you have to adhere to when bolting down the heads. Rotate the block on the stand, do the other side...and you are ready to set the valve lashes!

Well...the valve lashes were actually set last week as well, but it is late so I will post up those pictures tomorrow.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rrsettgast is offline   Reply With Quote